Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Chicken doesn't have to be a drag

If you're not careful chicken can get boring fast.  There are so many more ways to cook chicken than just grilling it, make sure you mix it up from time to time. 

Last night I made an Indian dish from Everyday Paleo's Better Butter Chicken. 
Now, a year ago I never would have thought I would be making Indian food in my own kitchen.  In my mind it was a lot easier to go out and eat Indian food verses make it.  But that's one of the things that has kept me cooking paleo, it challenges me to cook outside my comfort zone and keeps me coming back for more. 
Better Butter Chicken review via Everyday Paleo by Sarah Fragoso

What you'll need:
2 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs (sadly I am not much of a meat on the bone fan. GASP. I know, my husband is appalled.  We subbed chicken breasts.  Chicken tenders would work well too as you end up cutting them into bite-sized pieces.  It's my experience chicken tenders cook a little faster. 
3T coconut oil
1 red onion (adds great flavor)
2 garlic cloves, minced (take the time to mince up fresh garlic)
1/2t cardamom powder and 1t fenugreek powder  (didn't have either on hand, subbed 1.5t of curry powder and a dash of ground cinnamon and nutmeg.)
1t chili powder
1 (6oz) can of tomato paste (I use Muir Glen Organic)
1/2 can coconut milk (I use Trader Joe's light)
1t of sea salt (I use fine ground verses course but if you only have course use it)
4T of ghee or organic butter (I use kerrygold)
1lb red chard, chopped stems removed (I subbed organic, chopped, prewashed kale)

1. Cut thighs (or breasts) into bite-size pieces and set aside.
2. In a large skillet (I used one with higher sides so the coconut oil won't spit back up and bite me) heat the coconut oil on medium heat.  Add diced onion and sauté until translucent.
3.  Turn the heat to low.  (Before we added the spices, the hubby used the mortal and pestle to ground the spices together) To the onion, goes the minced garlic, cardamom, coriander, fenugreek, and chili powder.  Stir well to make a paste. Mine never came to a "paste" it did thicken though. 
4.  Add tomato paste--the mixture will be very thick.
5.  Turn the heat back to medium and add the coconut milk and salt.  Use a whisk to blend the tomato paste mixture and coconut milk together into a sauce.
6.  Bring the sauce to a simmer and add the chicken.  Stir well, turn down to medium low, cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until the chicken is done all the way through-stir occasionally during the cooking process. 
7.  After the chicken is cooked, add the ghee or butter and mix until melted.  Serve the chicken over steamed red chard (I sautéed the kale in a pan with a little bit of coconut oil and salt just until the color brightened.)

This was such an easy weekday recipe to execute! The sauce was absolutely delicious and the chicken was incredibly tender.  Next time I revisit this recipe I will be subbing the kale for some paleo nann :)









 


No comments:

Post a Comment