Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The not so good

When I set out on this blogging journey I promised you the good, bad and ugly.  Well Tuesday night's dinner was really ugly.  It was rather disappointing because the recipe title seemed promising...Dutch Tomato Soup with Meatballs.  The soup itself lacked any real flavor.  It called for 6 medium ripe tomatoes, 2 carrots, 1 celery stalk, 3 cups of water, 1 bay leaf , olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.  I'm not sure what it was about it, it just didn't provide the depth expected from a tomato soup.  Now, for those of you who know me well know I have a slightly odd affinity to meatballs.  I think they're just the greatest.  Little rounds of tastiness.  If a restaurant has meatballs on their menu it's my duty to order them.  I tend to base my overall opinion on a restaurant based on their meatballs.  Last night's meatballs were a huge flop.  They called for normal meatball ingredients: ground beef, onion, garlic, 2 beat eggs and then...flax meal.  That ruined them for me.  When I bit into the meatball all I tasted was the flax.  It over powered the meat and seasoning and left the meatballs almost mealy.  I am sad to say this recipe is not worth trying.  If I ever discover excess time I may try to recreate this recipe...until then...


No comments:

Post a Comment