Wednesday, August 21, 2013

B.o.a.r.s. chicken review oh my!

A month or so ago the Civilized Caveman did the civilized caveman thing and released an app.  Up until last night I'd only used it to make his delightful Caveman Crunch "granola." After emerging from my studying coma I was perusing all my paleo resources for inspiration.  I stumbled on Civilized Caveman's B.o.a.r.s. stuffed chicken.  It sounded delicious and better yet I have most of the ingredients.  Recipe calls for:
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I had 2)
4 slices of bacon, sliced into lardons, just long strips (check)
1 red onion, diced (I had white)
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary, diced (I had dried)
1 large red apple, diced with skin on (I had a ripe peach)
1 large handful of baby spinach (I had arugula)
1/2 up lemon juice (I had on hand and then I forgot to use it...oops.) 
salt and pepper (check, check!)

First step.  Preheat oven to 350.  Next, make the "stuffing." 
I fried up the bacon in my cast iron.  Letting it get about 90% cooked.  I then added the onion, cooking until they were translucent.  Added the peaches and about 1t of dried rosemary (which I ground some with my mortal and pestle) and arugula or spinach.  This would also be where you add your lemon juice, had you not forgotten about it.  Cook only until the arugula starts to wilt down.  Remove from heat and set aside.

Next, take your chicken breasts and butterfly open.  I need to work on my butterflying skills as mine looked less than pretty.  Add some of the stuffing to your butterflied chicken.  You can create more of a chicken "book" or a roll depending on your preference.  The roll version was a little messy (I'm not the best stuffer) since you most likely cut the breast vertically, you roll horizontally.  Place back in pan with the folded side down (if you chose the roll method.) Extra filling? No problem, add it to the top of your chicken rolls or books.  Pop in the oven for 8-10 minutes (until chicken is cooked through.) ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment